The US Thanksgiving holiday is tomorrow. Many people will offer thanks for their families, their lives, their work. I’ll do that. And, I won’t stop with my immediate family. I’ll also give thanks for our unsung heroes.
Too few of us realize how many unsung heroes exist. They rarely make the news or social media. They’re often local and quiet.
I’m not denigrating the real heroes we have. We have researchers who already created several vaccines. The logistics people who plan how to get the vaccines to us. And the doctors and nurses across the country who persevere and take care of very sick people? Heroes, each and every one of them.
We acknowledge them. Often. Probably not personally enough, but I hope they do realize how we appreciate them.
We don’t appreciate enough of the unsung heroes.
Broaden Appreciation to Unsung Heroes
Who are these unsung heroes? Here are some of mine:
- Parents who homeschool their children because schools aren’t open.
- People who stock and sell groceries.
- Nurses and doctors—or family members—who support older and sick people in nursing homes.
- People who clean public and private spaces.
I’m sure I’ve missed other people you might know.
Here’s what I see that’s common in unsung heroes:
- These people have more than full-time jobs. They don’t work a 40-hour week. And, if they do? The work exhausts them.
- They support all of us in various ways. They make it possible for us to create healthy meals at home, or to live, travel, and work in clean spaces.
- Their work makes it possible for the rest of us to work.
Unsung heroes create support systems for all of us.
What about the parents who homeschool their children because schools aren’t open? They’re making sure the next generation can be ready to be responsible adults.
Everyone’s doing the best they can, under crazy circumstances.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, please consider offering thanks to the unsung heroes in your life. Unsung heroes are not just our support systems. They use their courage to help us all.
That’s the question this week: Who are the unsung heroes in your life?
- How Do You Balance the Short Term and the Long Term?
- When Do We Consider People Beyond Redemption?